- This was the first year in my life I have celebrated Christmas without my nonna. I have a great picture of her and Ava on my living room coffee table, and all throughout Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning, I would look at it and feel like she was somehow right there with us. I imagine her grinning from ear to ear, looking down at her "principessa" Ava.
- The first year I cooked a turkey on Christmas Eve
- The last year I will cook a turkey on Christmas Eve. The pan leaked turkey juice about 3 inches deep all over my stove! I have no idea how to separate the fat from the juice to make gravy. Thank god Grandpa Gary came to the rescue in completing the gravy, although I do think I had way too much fat in there. Making a complete turkey dinner is stressful!
- Ava showing off for her Grandpa Gary and Grandma Laurie the moment they arrived, and banging her head HARD on our coffee table. I have never seen such a golf-sized bump on any child, let alone MY child, and thought I would need to be resuscitated. Miraculously, I applied an Italian cream my mom raves about, called Vegetallumina, and sure enough, a few hours later you could hardly notice.
- The first year we spent Christmas Day at Grandpa Gary and Grandma Laurie's beautiful new house! Ava loved frolicking around there, and especially enjoyed playing the piano.
- Having lost my nonna this year, and also having lost two dear neighbors to cancer in the last two months, makes me especially grateful to be able to celebrate the holidays with my parents.
- Watching the complete happiness on my daughter's face as she opened and played with all of her presents, and feeling a complete sense of peace and joy for finally having my own little family to create wonderful christmas memories with.
Here are some shots from Christmas Eve and Day. I can't help laughing thinking about Janice and Shana always apologizing for what look like great pictures to me. They must be horrified looking at my blurry, bad shots. Ok, so I apologize too.


Can you see my nonna in the picture with Ava?
The three stooges having fun together
Ava and Aunt Alecia

Christmas Morning. Ava LOVES this cash register from Parents. I highly recommend it. It comes with play money and actually adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides.


Playing the piano at Grandpa Gary's and Grandma Laurie's. She really got into it!

Happy New Year To Everyone!
2 comments:
Maria, your Christmas tree is gorgeous!! And I really have to commend you on making turkey dinner. I dread the day that I have to make it because it is not a tradition in my family and John's mom makes an excellent turkey! I will be calling you for some tips about that someday.
I am so sorry your Nonna is not there with you this holiday but I am sure she is there in spirit and always thinking about you and Ava.
Hope you guys have a wonderful New Year!
Looks like you all had a wonderful Christmas....new memories were made and that is what makes it all the more special.
Your Nonna will always be with you and Ava.
Post a Comment