Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Money on Her Mind

I continue to be amazed at how much kindergarteners are actually learning these days.  I clearly remember kindergarten being all about show and tell, naptime, playing with a kitchen set that I wished was mine, and coloring.   I certainly was not being taught about money! 

A few nights ago I walked up into the playroom to find Ava pretending to be her teacher and writing different amounts of currency on the chalkboard and then breaking it down to what and how many of each coin you needed to get to that amount.  I was blown away.  So after she was done with the first one, I had asked her to do a few more, and here is the result.



And I know Ava is not the only one grasping all this stuff in her class.  As she was telling me more and more about how the teacher asks what coins she needs to total the amount, Ava says the boys raise their hands alot to answer "because the boys are really smart about money mommy".  I told her Ava, from what you just showed me honey I think you are just as smart as the boys are.  Don't underestimate yourself sweetheart!

So after this I actually pulled out some coins for her and although she knows that pennies equals one, nickels equal 5 cents and so on, she is still getting used to the actual physical coins themselves.  Baby steps!  But pretty awesome kindergarten baby steps if you ask me!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Shana-Lynn said...

awesome job ava! you are super smart!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love my gorgeous Ava. You are so smart honey. I miss you terribly.