Friday, August 19, 2011

I Caved In

I remember when Ava first started skating, I would see all of these skaters, big and small, pulling around these suitcase-like bags called Zuca Bags.  I soon found out that the things cost $150.00 each and I thought, there is no.way.in.hell. I am paying that much for a bag for Ava to carry her skates in.  Ava kept talking about how she wanted one, and how great it would be to sit on them like she saw the other skaters doing.  I didn't see what was so bad about sitting next to the perfectly good chairs the skaters would set their Zuca bags next to.

Well, we soon signed Ava up for a membership to ISI, in order for her to get her badges and start participating in competitions and shows,  and then one day she received a magazine.  An ice skating magazine.  All about ice skaters and every imaginable accessory you could buy.  And she saw this page:
And before you know it, that became this:


I have to admit, it is pretty darn cute.  And as you can see, Ava is as happy as can be.   Ava really deserves it now.  She has really taken off with her skating and has decided its the one thing she will be doing this year.  We let her choose betweet skating, ballet and gymnastics and she chose skating.  So we are continuing with her 2 private lessons per week with her coach, and have added her to the Gamma LTS class this fall.  This will allow her to be in their annual  Holiday Show, in addition to her 2nd summer show in June.  Her coach is pretty sure she will put her in a solo Christmas program, which makes Ava squeal with delight.  She loves performing solo!  In fact, my mom came for the first time to her practice this week, and Ava was practicing her solo without music and without her coach having even arrived yet.  There wasn't  anybody on the ice so it was super cute to see her petite little frame all over the rink from one end to the other.  My mom was so moved that her eyes actually welled up with tears!  That's my mom though.  It doesn't take much for her to get choked up.

We are so proud of Ava and so happy that she has found something she really enjoys doing.   She is getting all set for her first day of kindergarten on Tuesday, and I will post about that next.  Tuesday is just one hour with parents, but Wednesday is her first full day, morning bus and all.  I hope I am not the only mom at the bus stop with a box of kleenex.  For myself.
Photobucket

5 comments:

Shana-Lynn said...

It took you LONG enough to get on board! Sheesh!! You will soon find out the quality is exceptional!!! It's totally worth every penny in our opinion. Now she just needs a pad for on top! You'll see them at the competitions, some vendor will have them. Breckan loves Aubree's Zuca and is usually the one in charge of it, no kidding! I keep wishing they made baby size Zuca's for her, but she controls Aubree's just find and her skates fit in there with Aubree's!

Cute design!

Best of luck next Maria and Ava! Huge milestone, but she'll do awesome! Love you Ava!!

Maria said...

Lol! I knew you would say that Shana. No Pad! She can stuff a mini-pillow in that $150 product and sit her butt on that if she needs some cushion.

To be 100% honest, I was also getting totally sick of carrying her old bag that was too heavy for her. I told her if we got her that Zuca it was her job to pull it around, not mine!

Shana-Lynn said...

Wait 6 months, you'll cave on the pad too. ;-)

Shana-Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shana-Lynn said...

Actually, the pad was something I didn't find needed at first, but it really is a great idea. It keeps the frame a little warmer for their bottoms than just having to sit on it in the ice rink, plus it protects the frame from getting banged up and keeps their skating apparel protected so they don't get snags etc..