Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Boys 1 Year Check-Up

My dad and I took the boys for their 1 yr well visit yesterday. They did great except of course for when they got their shots. Evan cried for about 10 seconds but Colton, oh my Colton, he cried "mamamama" while looking at me like how could you let them do this to me mom?? Even the nurse said "this one breaks your heart". Imagine how I was feeling. And I think my dad was trying to hold back tears too. On an interesting front, the doctor, who I don't particularly care for, determined that the boys need early intervention for their "speech delay". He determined this after reading the answers to a questionnaire I completed for each boy. I answered no to questions like "says more than one word other than "mama" or "dada". So someone is supposed to give me a call next week to schedule an appointment and come evaluate the boys on their "speech delay". Now, if any of you out there know me well enough you know what I am thinking right about now. I'm thinking, Are you f-ing kidding me?? They just turned one! I really don't expect them to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. And if anything, I have always known these boys were a little behind in most every milestone compared to Ava and that that is a direct result of ME not working with them like I did with Ava. Sheesh, by one I was doing flashcards with Ava and she was saying at least 5 or more words. But thats because I was teaching her all the time and I had all the time in the world to focus on her. Unfortunately, and I will admit its all my fault, I just don't do any of that with the boys. Shoot, most days I am just trying to make it from one nap to the next to bedtime without someone breaking their head wide open. So, it'll be interesting to see what the speech therapist has to say. I'm not the least bit worried, and I'll keep you all posted. Here are their one year stats: Colton 22 lbs 10 oz 29.5 inches long Evan 20lbs 5 oz 29 inches long Evan grew 2 inch sinces his 9 month visit and gained over 2 lbs. Colton grew one inch and gained about 2 lbs.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow.. Nice doc! But early intervention is better than late. Hope all goes well.

Annie said...

I understand you. But don't worry that is a little help for the boys.

And of course, every child works different and don't do the same things at the same age.

Shana-Lynn said...

Seems kind of early to be saying they may have speech delays, but I am sure they are perfectly fine. After all, they were preemies.

Janice said...

If it makes you feel any better my Ava hardly ever spoke a word until she was two. I seriously thought she was mute, lol. It's also hard when you have an older one to compare them with (like Cameron who spoke really early). As long as your boys are healthy and happy and the speech will come.

Aubree's Dad's Cousin said...

About what Janice wrote,

I know someone who had a son who hardly spoke at two, and he Wasn't fine! Sinus pressure was obstructing his occular canals and blocking him from hearing certain sounds! This during the time of formative language center brain development! It also caused him severe headaches.

With speech therapy, he turned out ok.

But, the twins seem O.K. to me, too. :)

Aubree's Dad's Cousin said...

Well, that entry has been about two weeks ago, but if they have yet to call or come by,Maria,may I just say,for the sake of handling things more diplomaticaly it might be best if Andrei talks to them.

Besides, Evan is now almost all caught up to Colton in stats. Further, when comparing them to Ava; remember girls normally start talking before boys.

I wonder: if they practice "Twin Talk", will little Ava pick it up, too?